Tuesday, May 19, 2009

So Much For Being Cool

As I was getting off the ferry on the way to work, I ran into someone I went to highschool with. This happens occassionally. And usually, when I see an old highschool classmate, I stop dead in my tracks, then quickly bolt in the opposite direction because, yes, I was THAT much of a nerd and I would rather people not remember me, it's just too embarrassing. [Flashback #1: me running around the halls after math class pretending to be Indiana Jones. Flashback #2: me staying up until midnight each night to watch reruns of Star Trek Deep Space 9].

Well, I didn't bolt away fast enough this time. This guy caught my eye and said hi. We chatted for a couple minutes. I told him I was in law school and heading to my legal summer internship. I think he was impressed, considering he probably only remembered me as that weird kid who went to space camp.

Before we parted ways he made a remark about how it was nice to know people who were lawyers so they could get him out of trouble. I laughed and promised that if I couldn't get him off, I would at least sneak him some beer in prison. I thought this was pretty clever but he just gave me a weird look and left without saying anything else.

What did I do? I thought about it all morning. I guess his reaction might have had something to do with my promise that I would "get him off?"

3 comments:

CM said...

He was probably worried that you knew about that unfortunate incident with the monkey that landed him in prison last time...

Mary Lewis-Pierce said...

Well, I laughed (if that is any consolation).

Eliza said...

I love that kind of nerd! I suppressed a lot of my nerdiness in high school, making myself miserable. Now, hahahahahaha, I totally make up for it. I geek my way through the law school halls with abandon, talk about Star Trek and Comicons, etc. Love it.

Thanks for the post, very funny.