Sunday, October 12, 2008

Goodbye To Freedom

Part of me loves spending every minute with Jacob and another part of my longs for freedom.

I miss having down time. Me Time. Time to waste carelessly on the internet all weekend long. I miss being able to shower, eat, watch movies, read books whenever I want and not just during the precious, short time that Jacob is napping (which is never, by the way). I can't even take ten minutes to soak my ingrown toenails without interruption (gross, I know). This makes me wonder how moms manage to take care of themselves at all!

I heard endlessly during my pregnancy that my whole life would change and that babies were hard work. But I never imagined...nor could I ever have prepared for this.

Don't get me wrong. It's wonderful having Jacob in my life and I would never give him up for one million uninterrupted stress-free showers or an endless amount of Me Time. I could just use a thirty minute break sometime (heck I'd settle for ten minutes).

For that reason, I can't wait to go back to school in January. I'm working on getting all my classes together just two days a week. Two days of being a student and five days of being a mom each week. Sounds like a good balance to me.

4 comments:

MJV said...

I was so happy to go back to work for that very reason. It does get better. They get more and more independent with every year. Love it. ;)

CM said...

Can you get someone to watch Jacob during the day some time? Get a friend to come over and watch him for an hour while you nap and shower, or pay a babysitter for a couple of hours -- you can still be in the house if you want, but sometimes it's such a relief not to have to come running when he cries.

LEO said...

We'll be leading the same sort of double life next semester (except I'll have to go for a few hours, 3 days a week)!

Some people think of it as squeezing it all in (which has a negative connotation to me), but I think of it as a necessary balance. We'll see if that's genius or completely ignorant soon enough ;)

I hope Jacob starts sleeping a little more so you have time for those ingrowns! haha

Andrea said...

Yeah, that's why I didn't take the semester off and why Husband took paternity leave instead. I can't do that much home time. I start going crazy, and I get absolutely nothing accomplished!

Sounds like you need a spa day!