Thursday, October 23, 2008

Onomatopoeia

The following consersation happened today:

Me: "I'm a little worried about the breaks. They were making a squeaking noise."
Husband: "As long as they weren't squealing, we're fine."
Me (confused): "Well what do you consider a squeal?"
Husband: "Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeal"
Me: "But that's it! That's the squeak."
Husband: "No. A squeak sounds like this...eeek."
Me: "No way. A squeak is like sqeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeak."
Husband: "You're crazy. That is not a squeak. Then what's a squeal?"
Me: "Squeeeeeal. Duh. Someone never learned their onomatopoeias."
Husband: "Look at me, I'm Cee. I can win every argument by using big words. Wah."

2 comments:

LEO said...

I LOVE all your posts tagged with "off the deep end" !!

Downsized Attorney said...

Your relationship with your husband reminds me a lot of mine with MP.