Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Christmas & Mothers

My very Catholic background kicks in once in a while. Yesterday I was driving to the store and listening to Christmas music. Silent Night came on and I teared up all over the place. Particularly over thoughts of Mary. Yes, Catholics are famous for their "Mary worship."

I have been in a religious funk/crisis this past year. But I pushed my questions, criticisms, and doubt aside for just a minute and soaked in the emotional power of God coming to earth as a baby. And the thought of a human mother bringing him into the world. I hope God showed her some mercy via a miraculous and jumbo-sized Epidural. Maybe he threw in some needle-less morphine shots for good measure?

This is really the first year that I understand the importance and magnitude of Mary's sacrifice. Not only did she carry and give birth to a Very Important Baby- but she raised him to one day witness his torture and death on a cross for millions of thankless souls. That is real sacrifice and I cannot imagine the strength someone like Mary must have had.

I die a million deaths when Jacob gets shots. The thought of him experiencing unpleasantries in the future makes me want to throw my body in front of a bus. Watching FICTIONAL movies in which babies cry gives me a heart attack! How could one woman give up her only son and watch him suffer and die? Only another mother could understand her magnificance. Days like today, I think it's totally fitting to "worship" Mary.

3 comments:

Americas Next Top Lawyer said...

AMEN!

Amanda said...

Hi, I've been reading for awhile, but I think this is my first comment...

I was thinking the same thing today...Mary Did You Know? came on the radio and it just floored me. It's so easy to get caught up in the hype of the holiday and forget just how amazing it is, the point of it all.

FSD said...

What an amazing sacrifice! "Passion of the Christ" totally messed me up! I can't even imagine....