Thursday, November 6, 2008

Love Affair With Obama

No world or national event has ever made me as happy as election night 2008!

I remember having a discussion with my old political savvy boss in late 2006. She told me she hoped her candidate of choice would make it to the November 2008 ballot. I told her that if he ran, it would be Obama for sure. She respectfully disagreed with me and went on a rant about how he didn't have enough experience and that it just wasn't his time. I would love to make her eat her words today!

I was first introduced to our new President-elect when I was a student in Chicago. I watched his Senate race on TV while huddled in a room with my two roomates. I had no idea who this man with the funny name was but I was impressed with his electricity. He had captured the attention of the democratic youth at the national convention (can you believe I turned down a chance to go watch it in order to finish a paper!). I saw signs with his name posted all over the greater Chicago area- dorms, driveways, streets, sidewalks. Not too much later, I caught Obama fever myself. And after reading his book Audacity of Hope, I became convinced that no other man or woman was so right for American Presidency in our time.

When Obama beat Clinton for the democratic seat, I was ecstatic and that is when I knew he would make it all the way to the top. I was so happy to be proven right last Tuesday. I cried listening to his acceptance speech (I also cried during McCain's speech but it was tears of pain from having to listen to another one of his repetative, stale and very lame diatribes- "this isn't your failure, it's mine" what the hell?!). I would seriously have given one of my toes to be in Grant Park that evening with my old college buddies.

Aside from being totally hot (we're talking multiple hot peppers), he is almost unbelievably charismatic, intelligent and eloquent. Although I've been trying all week, I feel like I can't say anything original about Obama's greatness. So I will just say that I think we have a real chance to fix some of America's greatest social problems.

I'm so looking forward to the next four years. I know Obama has a lot of work to do and a lot of promises to fulfill but I also know that exciting magical things are on the horizon!

Anyone know a bitter Republican with a subscription to the New York Times? I tried to find a copy of the Wednesday paper for my scrap book- every vendor sold out of copies!! Today I tried to buy a copy on the Time's website. They are charging $15!! That's robbery! So, should I just go ahead and pay it?!?! (If I had a job- I would have bought two copies already).

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Obama had me from "I am opposed to a dumb war." He understood the situation we faced in Iraq, and he understood the consequences. He had the wisdom to say what was immensely unpopular at a time when it got you branded "unpatriotic" and "anti-American." (Funny how the conservatives are still describing him as such today.) To me, the courage to stand up for what is right, even though it could have cost him his political career and the presidency today if the Iraq War had been hugely successful, is what makes him a true patriot. And the more I heard from him, the more I wanted to hear.

When you compare Obama's 2002 speech against the Iraq War, and McCain's remarks in the Senate just prior to the invasion, it's incredible that there ever was a contest between the two candidates.

KG said...

Yeah - so Obama is inspirational, brilliant, and whatnot.

But he's also UBER HAWT! I have a major crush on him. He totally makes me weak in the knees.

PS - I'm a proud supporter and voter for his hawt self!