Saturday, May 10, 2008

Another Amazing Recipe: Morrocon Steak Roast

I never make steak. Getting the grill fired up is just too big of an obstacle and forces me to leave the safety of my kitchen and the familiarity of my oven. But I have been wanting steak lately, must be needing some iron or something, so when our local grocery superstore had this free steak recipe on display- I jumped on it.

This recipe involved pan roasting- a technique I have never used before- but it yields the most AMAZING, tender and juicy steaks ever! It's so simple and requires only an oven with a stove.

First, mix the spices:

1 Tbsp cumin
1/2 Tbsp ground peppercorn
1 Tbsp smoked paprika (I used regular)
1 Tbsp garlic powder (I used garlic salt)
1/2 Tbsp kosher salt
1/2 Tbsp cinnamon
1/2 or 1 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
1/8 cup (maybe 2 Tbsp?) powdered hot chocolate

Take the spice mix and rub it into your rib eye roast. I first brushed olive oil on it, then rubbed the spices in and let it sit for an hour- I don't know if this made any difference.

Then you take the meat - still heavily coated- and cook it in olive oil over high heat on each side for about 1.5 minutes each, just until each side is brown. Finally, stick the whole pan with the steak in the oven for about 15 minutes at 350 degrees. Turn the steaks over about halfway through. The steak is done when it reaches an internal temperature of about 155.

The best steak ever- so juicy and tender and full of flavor. My husband thought I marinated it for days.

1 comment:

postscript said...

Yum that sounds good...good thing we're having steak tonight, otherwise I would be craving it for days...

My favorite way to make steak: coat the steak with store-bought Montreal Steak Seasoning, then throw it into a pan or onto the grill. Very simple, but good.