Tuesday, May 6, 2008

My Humps on Cinde De Mayo

For Cinco de Mayo we payed our tribute to the Mexican culture and joined every family in our neighborhood for dinner at the local Mexican restaraunt. I knew it would be busy, but the place was packed! The only seat available was the one by the humongous subwoofers blaring mariachi band music.

I didn't really mind, but I don't think I've ever yelled the word "what?" so many times during the course of one meal.

Halfway through dinner the mariachi band music was suddenly replaced by a familiar sounding pop beat. My husband and I looked at each other like, "what's this?" Then Fergie and the Black Eyed Peas started booming "My Humps" into the quaint Mexican atmosphere.

I took a big bite of my Super Burrito. "My humps, my humps, my lovely lady lumps." Delicious. It didn't take long to discover that it was the unedited version. The word "ass" blared into our ears a handful of times. I was kind of embarrassed for all the parents with their young children seated around us.

The three minute song seemed to last a life-time. I've never been so happy to hear Fergie's voice go away. Thanfully, the mariachi band came back. I don't know what it is but a burrito just doesn't taste the same without the sound of violins, trumpets and maracas in the background.

2 comments:

KG said...

I hate that awkwardness when there are young children (or old people). I don't know why I feel protective of old people . . . it's not like they haven't been around and seen/heard it all . . . but for some reason I'm embarassed when I hear curse words around old people.

the dragonfly said...

That just seems...weird.

I don't think that's a strong enough word, but it's all I can come up with when I'm sleep-deprived. :)