Friday, January 2, 2009

A New Year's Eve For New Parents

Usually New Year's Eve belongs to my husband's buddy from highschool and his wife (whom my husband dated his freshman year). My husband has a tight knit group of friends from highschool who get together regularly and it's usually fun to hang out with them. This one buddy always hosts a big New Year's Eve party and ever since I have known my husband, we always go.

Last year, either we became lame or we became party poopers because we looked around the party and saw a bunch of crazy bachelors getting drunk off the kegger, playing video games and passing out. I guess parties in the past had always been this way but last year it just didn't feel right. I had just found out I was pregnant and couldn't drink (I am a happy drunk and dull parties become entertaining after just two glasses of wine- that's all it takes).

So this year we decided we would stay home and invite a couple and another friend to our place. That way I could put Jacob to sleep in his own crib and enjoy myself.

I was a ton of fun and really laid back! My husband and I spent part of the day cooking and cleaning together- we made enchiladas and homemade salsa. We also made some fun fingerfood desserts. When our guests arrives we played "Apples to Apples" - the best game EVER! I got a little tispy, we laughed at the lame Kaptain Kneival stunt on channel 13 (the only channel we get) and the guys lit bottle rockets in the street.

We think we will do this again next year because it was so much fun. Aside from our first New Year's Eve together after we started dating- this was probably the best celebration yet.

4 comments:

Mary Lewis-Pierce said...

That sounds nice. Since having a baby, I enjoy time with my partner on New Year's Eve. I figure I am with the person I like the best in the whole world, and its nice not to be out with the crowds.

LL said...

We had a New Year's party this year too and it was a blast. I think NYE is best done in a low-key fashion that avoids driving, parking, over-crowded overpriced bars, and drunken strangers. And as you said, house parties avoid having to find a sitter!

FSD said...

I was just thinking about this very thing today....what does a new parent do on NYE? My hubby and I often bring the New Year in at church, but occasionally I like to mix it up. I was thinking today that next year we should host a party at our house and invite our friends that have kids (and those that don't and don't mind being around those of us who do). You confirmed my thought. :- ) Glad you had fun!

Anonymous said...

I love Apples to Apples! Although it does drive home the point that most people do not think the way I do - sometimes in very disturbing ways. But always interesting. :)