Saturday, January 12, 2008

Pregnancy Food Pyramid

I don't remember the last time I ate chocolate. People who know me would be shocked into a coma if they could see what I have been eating lately.

Before I was pregnant, I ate chocolate all the time. I craved chocolate. I dreamed chocolate. I thought chocolate. Chocolate was my favorite food group. I would stock up on Symphany bars everytime Safeway had a 3/99 cents sale, and I would not be ashamed to eat half of my purchase on the ride home. I often would spend 40-60 minutes at the gym to justify my daily chocolate intake. That's commitment right there!

Last month, my obsession for chocolate quit-- cold turkey. I started to pass up the candy aisle at the supermarket. I instinctively found myself reaching for something chocolate, but when I realized what I was doing, I felt a sudden repulsion towards it-- like I had just picked up a handful of rotting broccoli florets. For three weeks, two mega-sized chocolate bars have been hiding on the refrigerator, untouched. I really have no explanation for my abnormal behavior.

Instead of wanting to eat chocolate all the time, or even at all, I have been craving diversity in my food. My hand keeps wandering into the vegetable tray in our fridge, in search of corn, carrots, broccoli, edamame, snow peas or even onions. Along the "diversity" line, I have been craving food that I haven't had in a really long time. This week, I convinced my Husband to go to a Mexican restaruant with me so I could eat tortilla soup. The next day for lunch, I ate fish and chips at Skippers. I hadn't been to Skippers since I was ten. Skippers was the only place my grandpa would go out to eat, so every other Sunday, my family would meet my grandparents at Skippers. The kids would get our own table where we would pretend to be pirates, play with our kid's meal toys and pick on each other. Even though it was a seafood place, I always only ordered chicken strips. I got a lot of flack from my grandparents for that one. Sadly, I had forgotten that only the kid's meal comes with jello...I really wanted to eat fish AND jello.... (it's just not the same when you separate them!).

Last night, I went to the grocery store so I could stock my fridge with edamame and to buy ingredients to make broccoli cheddar soup. So, there I was, in the kitchen at 10pm making broccoli cheddar soup from scratch.

The only bad thing about this "diversity" kick, is that I find it really hard to eat leftovers- my body is like a pouty teenager-- "hmph, I already ate this yesterday!" So, I have a fridge full of left over broccoli soup, a half eaten pizza, and the pulled pork that I made last weekend.

3 comments:

newduck said...

Your baby is so lucky. For the first three months of my pregnancy, the only food that even looked edible to me was cotton candy and coco puffs. In 18 years she'll blame her shitty SAT score on me, and she'll probably be right.

CP said...

cotton candy and cocopuffs?...omg, my mouth is starting to water! :) those are very random pregnancy foods, probably the funniest I have heard!

Pregnancy Eating Plan said...

[...]Pregnancy Eating Plan - Pregnancy is one happiest moment in our life. At that time, we have our baby grow in our womb. Not only physical closeness, pregnancy is also giving us emotional closeness with our baby[...]