Sunday, April 27, 2008

You Know You're Old When The Word Prom Makes You Think Of, Not Yours, But Your Future Kid's Prom

When I got married, we moved right into the city. It's a small city with a small downtown and it still has rural elements to it. But it's fun to live right in the action and near everything...even if it means hearing police sirens at night. We went out for dinner and actually WALKED. It was nice. It took ten scenic minutes- we walked near the water and across a bridge, the mountains were hovering in the background- it was beautiful.

We went to one of my favorite restaurants. It's called the Boat Shed and its on the water, literally. Part of the restaurant is held up by piers over a saltwater inlet. In fact, people can drive their boats up to the reastaurant, tie it to the dock and walk up for dinner. There are some pictures on their website http://www.theboatshedrestaurant.com/. The Boat Shed serves a great selection of seafood, burgers, sandwiches, and a number of excellent salads. Almost every table is by a window and EVERY table has a view of the water. There is a bar area and they serve good beer and fun drinks...only 123 days until I can have a lemon drop! Woo hoo :)

Seated out on the patio was a group of highschoolers all dressed up for a formal dance. They looked really cute seated in pairs. Then there was a bulbous girl hobbling around awkwardly in heels- it looked like she was going to tip over. I'm only 23, those highschool days aren't that far behind me. But it feels like forever ago. Anyway, seeing this group reminded me of my dances. I loved dancing! The excitement of getting dressed up and hanging out with my girls. Of course, I was lame and never had a date- except for prom. I was always pretty shy at school. I didn't want to stand out for fear of what people thought about me.

I was a completely different person at our school dances. I rocked the dance floor. It felt good moving with the music and didn't care what people thought- in fact, as ridiculous and wacky as my dance moves were (cringe) people actually tried to emulate them! At dances, I was all about having fun, even if it meant looking silly doing it-- and people always wanted to join in. I think not having to worry about impressing a date helped a lot too.

Now that we're going to have a baby, I found myself thinking about the day my own kids will go off to prom all dressed up. I definately look forward to it. But I still feel too young to be thinking about that kind of thing. I know it will be exciting to watch my boy, in a tux, bring bring his prom date to meet us. That is, if he doesn't hate us by then. Then I realized what I was thinking about and it kind of freaked me out.

Every now and then, I catch myself thinking old matronly thoughts and it makes me shudder. While I'm totally gonna be a hip and hot mom (wink), I'm still young myself. I guess it all happens in time, I just don't want to be too eager for the future and miss out on the now.

No comments: