Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The Furry Babies

I'm not talking about the newborns that come out looking like Cousin-It (although my baby nephew still has a ton of dark arm and back hair that he was born with). I mean the pets...

My cats are acting so weird lately. The past couple of weeks I have noticed that they are a lot more needy. They follow me from room to room. They walk right in front of my feet (causing me to swear loudly and almost trip). They jump up on my lap more. And, the absolute worst, they whine all the time.

My cats never used to meow unless they wanted inside or outside or unless we accidentally locked them in a room. Now their meowing is not only incessant but it takes the form of a loud and high pitched whine.

They beg for pets all the time! If I ignore them long enough, they go sit by my husband looking for some love. I'm starting to wonder if they sense the coming change in our lives. Do they know that soon they will be competing with a newborn for affection? Can they sense pregnancy? I've been pregnant for almost nine months but they have only started acting funny recently.

Has anyone else noticed changes in their pets' behavior when they were pregnant?

If they weren't so cute I would be half tempted to lock them in a crate, FOREVER!

5 comments:

CM said...

I assume "beg for pets" is a typo and you meant to say "beg for affection" or something, but it still made me laugh to think of your cats begging for pets of their own so they have somewhere to focus their attention. Tell them they'll get a pet in a few weeks.

LEO said...

Pets can totally sense it (I think). My cats have always been needy and follow us around and cuddle and meow, but pretty early on in the first trimester, they stepped it up a few levels. They started kneading into my belly and NEEDING to cuddle a lot more. I remember looking it up, and a lot of people think their pets started acting more protective of them or affectionate. Of course, the cats will probably hate having a baby to share their domain with, but it's nice to think they're looking out for us now!

Portia said...

YES! My cat totally did this exact same thing at the end of my pregnancy! He constantly wanted attention from both of us. But the weirdest thing was when we brought the baby home he totally avoided me. For weeks. Now he's pretty much back to normal (though probably much less spoiled...).

Mary Lewis-Pierce said...

The cats are so onto you....

KG said...

When I was preggo my cat would try to do that cat "kneading" thing on my pregnant belly and I had to always throw him off onto the floor. I wasn't sure if he was showing affection towards the belly or if he was secretly trying to injure it.

Anyway, now that the baby is on the outside, he seems to like the baby. Or at least he did until the baby became mobile ...