Thursday, August 28, 2008

World Peace? Maybe When Lawyers Rule The Country

I hate political parties. I don't want my political views categorized in a neat little box labeled "democrat" or "republican." These labels say little about what a person actually believes. What if the needs of our society change faster than the policies of either party? How can we make this country better if we disregard sound solutions just for the sake of maintaining a strong base of support from our designated "party."

I think we need political systems based upon logic. Not rhetoric or ideolody. While I am pro-life, I think it is important to put logic and reason above my own ideologies and religious beliefs when it comes to policy. We need to be rational about existing problems and possible solutions. This is one of the most important things I have learned at law school. Societal rules should be based on the greatest common denominator among the people. I could be wrong but it's my view that the ability to reason is that common denominator. Therefore, we should limit our discussion about policies to pure logical debate.

Having said that, I'm so excited about Obama/Biden. Both were educated as lawyers and both learned to think critically and analytically about problems. It's not necessarily WHAT they believe that I'm so excited about but the fact that I trust their judgment and ability to make sound logical and EDUCATED decisions. I think its about time we got more legal minds in positions of leadership. I trust that Obama and Biden will keep logic at the forefront of their decisions. I also have faith in the diplomatic skills of these two candidates- and diplomacy is something we really need in the international community right now.

I'm sure there are many people out there who think the LAST thing we need is two lawyers running the country :)

3 comments:

CM said...

About 1/3 of Congress consists of lawyers. I don't think that makes it more logical.

That said, I am all in favor of having someone acknowledged to be brilliant running the country, rather than someone who always scraped by with help from connections.

MJV said...

ITA about logic guiding policy decisions instead of morality. Good post.

Anonymous said...

I'm excited about Obama/Biden too. I sure hope they win.