Saturday, February 2, 2008

Productive In All Ways But School

Today I managed to be productive- without touching my law school homework. What troubled, demonic soul invented homework anyway? You spend hours at school in class each week, supposedely learning stuff. Who wants to come home and fill their weekends up with more schooling? It doesn't make any sense to me....for lack of better words, it's completely lame!

Today I was in need of a free "me" day. I needed to get out of the house and do stuff that I didn't usually do everyday of the week. I needed to go somewhere and not have an agenda or a schedule. It felt so good and I only felt guilty for neglecting my homework just once.

First I went to Safeway to stock up on "poo-friendly"foods that I am in desperate need of. I bought Fig Newtons, dates, dried apricots, high-fiber cereal, apples, almonds, grapes and 100% juice. I know these wont work, but I have to keep trying or else I will slink into poo-less depression for the next seven months.

Then I went to Michaels craft store and bought material to make a baby shower gift for my sister-in-law. I made the cutest "diaper-wreath." I found the instructions on some website a while ago. Its a wreath made out of diapers with small baby things tied on with ribbon- the cutest baby gift ever!

I also went to a linen store to browse crib bedding for our nursery. I wonder when it's no longer "too-early" to start buying baby things? I'm so eager- but my husband insists it's still "too early." I can't find a good "airplane" theme bedding set anywhere. The ones I have found so far aren't my favorites. I desperately want a new comforter set for our own bed too. Right now we have one that gives me "college dorm room" vibes. I want something mature and "married-ish" that you would expect to find on the bed of a grown up, married couple. It's silly but I feel like I can't properly become a parent with a dorm room bed....I actually found a set I really liked, but man, so expensive. And I already know my husband wont like it, we never agree on things like this.

I went to Safeway....again... to buy some meat and refrigerated items. I was even brave enough to buy an eggplant! I decided to try to make one of my husband's favorite dishes- eggplant parmesian. I got home and started it and realized I was STILL missing ingredients. So Safeway got to see me three times today. Cooking new things is always exciting to me. Actually, I love to cook anything at all- but especially unique dishes that take a little extra time. I like to make everything from scratch too, if I can. I like to make my own bread and sometimes my own yogurt (its so hard though!). I feel so accomplished putting my creations on the dinner table. I sometimes wish I had gone to culinary school :) But that's gotta be a profession in which staying slim is impossible.

4 comments:

CM said...

Overstock.com has nice linens and comforters, much cheaper than I've found elsewhere.

newduck said...

You poor thing! I just read your last post and this one, and I completely sympathize. Re: the poo thing: I recommend that you run, don't walk, to the supermarket and buy yourself some activia prune yogurt. It sounds gross, but it actually tastes good, and better yet, it WORKS like a charm. I eat one every day. Also, if you ask your doctor about it, he/she will probably advise you to take colace (colase?). The bad news is that if you don't take care of this early you could develop a really ugly problem involving a scalpel and NO ANESTHESIA later in pregnancy - yikes! The good news is that the first trimester of pregnancy is absolutely the worst. As much as I bitch about my aches and pains, I swear it only gets better after the first trimester. Hang in there!

KG said...

Prunes, prunes, and more prunes!

LL said...

The baby diaper wreath sounds adorable- and useful! I wish I was handy with stuff like that.